Monday, December 18, 2006

Favorite lines

I mentioned earlier that I love the dialogue in this movie, which I've heard is mostly directly from the short story by Charles Portis. Wayne had great lines in all his films, but this movie stands out. Here are some of my favorite lines:

Rooster Cogburn
• By God. She reminds me of me.
• Drop that switch, La Boeuf. Put it down, I said. You're enjoying it too much.
• DAMN a man that whistles!
• Young fella, if you're looking for trouble, I'll accommodate you. Otherwise, leave it alone.
• Fill your hands, you son-of-a-bitch!
• Damn that Texan! When you need him, he's dead.


Mattie Ross
• My name is Mattie Ross, of Near Dardanelle in Yell County. My family owns property, and I don't know why I'm being treated like this!
• If I smelled as bad as you, I wouldn't live near people.


Ranger La Boeuf
• The French is 'La Bourf.' I say 'La Beef.'

Ned Pepper
• I call that bold talk for a one-eyed fat man!

Tom Chaney
• Everything happens to me, and now I'm shot by a child!

4 comments:

driftwood said...

“...cultivate their hair like lettuce.”

kc said...

I love the Chaney line you quoted. Everything happens to me, and now I'm shot by a child!

I wasn't convinced that the movie was a send-up until he said that. But that line makes him a type.

kc said...

Mattie: Those horses can't get away from Little Blackie - they're loaded down with fat men and iron.

kc said...

This is the line that made me laugh hardest: You squirrel-headed bastard!

Glen Campbell's character says that to one of the diners at the boarding house.