Tuesday, February 27, 2007

For all you STAUNCH characters

"Grey Gardens" is a 1975 documentary about the everyday lives of Jackie Kennedy Onassis's aunt and cousin in their decrepit 28-room mansion in East Hampton, New York.

The subjects of the film are Edith Bouvier Beale and her daughter (also named Edith -- "Little Edie"). The two women lived together at Grey Gardens for more than 20 years in squalor and almost total isolation. In 1972, their living conditions were exposed in the National Enquirer and a series of raids by the Suffolk County Health Department. Jackie O paid for a cleaning and partial repair job on the house. It was during the restoration that "Grey Gardens" was made.

Hopefully this won't be too difficult for everybody to find. It is available on Netflix.

6 comments:

kc said...

sweet

kc said...

Erin, thanks for adding the list of all the films we've watched. That's awesome.

cl said...

Looks interesting, and ditto on the film index.

driftwood said...

Yes, the upgrade on the site looks good. Thanks.

I just saw that our local store has this movie and I figured I’d watch it soon. Maybe sooner than I expected. It is one I’ve been wanting to watch.

kc said...

cl, I ordered this on Netflix. You can come over and watch it with me, if you want.

amy rush said...

You are dealing with a very STAUNCH characteh. S-T-A-U-N-C-H!

KC told me what was next and I'm so very excited! I saw this a year ago. My friend Jeffrey introduced it to me - he and his wife Amy are going to have a Grey Gardens party soon.

I'm sure I will wear the best costume for the day.

Love it!