Tuesday, February 13, 2007

Limited-time offer

Remember that film bio dictionary I posted about ? I know you do because you all commented so eagerly. Anyway, it was on my snowy front porch when I got home today. Some snow seeped into the package and warped the dust jacket a little, but it's still fantastic! Here's what it says about Peter Weir: "Weir has an uncommon and beguiling aptitude for atmosphere of menace and mystery, often linked to strange and desolate places. He loves that brink of the occult, when perfectly found in landscape. But how pedestrian he becomes when he tries to explain these pregnant moods. The first part of Picnic at Hanging Rock is exquisite..."

That is right on the money for me.

As you can see, it's not strictly a dictionary; it's shot through with opinion, just the way I like my facts.

Here's a limited-time offer: Anyone who wants a copy of this book, send me your address and I will have one shipped to you! Don't be shy.

10 comments:

Erin said...

Are you serious? If so, I'm down.

Ben said...

Yeah, you know our address!

kc said...

It's been ordered!

Erin said...

You rock!

driftwood said...

Sign me up too!

Kc is our John Chapman of film knowledge. (Go stick it in Wikipedia if you don't know who he is.)

kc said...

You go stick it in Wikipedia, pal!

You gotta e-mail me yer address to get yer tome. This book is BIG. It's a showstopper AND a doorstopper.

Ricky, your Mexican rocks on my blog remind me of hanging rock! When you gonna give me part two?

Erin said...

Hey Rick, in your experiences in close proximity to giant rocks, have you ever had your watch stop or suddenly felt compelled to lie down or disappeared into thin air?

kc said...

Ooh, I bet he has. However, I can say with some degree of certainty that he is no longer intact.

cl said...

KC, I'd borrow your copy. I use two so-so film reference books mostly for ideas on other movies I'd like to see. One of them, published in 1998 declared that "Picnic" might be based on a real story. I might throw it out.

driftwood said...

Yeah, that disappearing thing can be quite a bore. The day is only so long: if you disappear for half of it, you might be coming down from your climb by headlamp. Worse yet, you get back after happy hour.

But I’ve never been much into wearing white dresses and corsets either.