Sunday, February 25, 2007

Speaking of David Lynch and bleak art and "Dead Man"


I was reading about Neko Case's album "Blacklisted"*, which is described as furthering her "country noir" mood — "lush, bleak, and atmospheric" — some adjectives that Peter Greenaway aspires to (hehe). Get this, cl and DW: "Case cited filmmaker David Lynch, composer Angelo Badalamenti, and Neil Young's soundtrack to the film 'Dead Man' as influences" for that album. Awesome. I love that a musician is inspired by something she saw at the movies.

* From Wikipedia: Some believe the title "Blacklisted" alludes to Case being banned for life from the Grand Ole Opry because she took her shirt off during a performance on August 4, 2001, though Case herself has denied this. Asked about the incident in 2004, Case said "I had heatstroke. People would love it to be a 'fuck you' punk thing. But it was actually a physical ailment thing."

5 comments:

cl said...

I don't know who Neko Case is ...

kc said...

She's the hot guitar-playin' mama in the photo that accompanies this post.

If the image doesn't endear her to you, this should (Hehe):

“I don’t know what’s up with me. I’m single and relationships have never worked with me, so I don’t know what that means. I either have to come out as gay and find a lady, or I have to find a man, and neither one of those things seems to be happening,” says Case. “I just need to fall in love with someone. I don’t care who it is – men, women, don’t care."

driftwood said...

So how's her music?

kc said...

Oh my God, Rick, you would LOVE her. Heart-rending voice, breath-taking lyrics. Banned-for-life-from-the-Grand-Ole-Opry attitude.

I had a post on my blog about the lyrics in "Star Witness," which reminded me of Carson McCullers.

I can send you a couple of CDs.

driftwood said...

Please do.

I’ve liked other music along the way that has been on or near the outskirts of country music like Exene Cervenka or Mazzy Star. “Country noir” sounds interesting, and I agree about the cited influences.