Wednesday, May 09, 2007

Who's your daddy?

Was there a misunderstanding about the conversation to abort Fran's baby? Peter asks Steven, "Do you want to get rid of it?" in Fran's absence -- and she took it to mean that Steven and the others would be making the call. I thought Peter meant "you" in the sense of "you and Fran" when he asked it.

In any case, it was an interesting moment in the movie for Fran, one in which she realizes she is a minority in the mini-society they've created, and that her rights could be revoked.

3 comments:

Ben said...

Good question. I guess I had the feeling that Peter was asking Steven about his own view, and then they would have to ask Fran later. I think Peter would not have done it if Fran had been for it and Steven against.

Erin said...

I was sort of confused in that scene. I had also assumed that Peter meant "you and Fran," or maybe that he was asking about Steven's personal feelings -- but not that they were making the decision without her input. So then I wasn't sure what Fran was talking about right after that.

It was an interesting moment, though, you're right. But if that's what Fran thought was happening, she should have stormed in there and told them all to go fuck themselves.

Ben said...

I thought it made sense -- I just thought Fran misunderstood. And I think it fit her character to just sit there.