Thursday, September 06, 2007

Best title

Ugetsu has the most beautiful title ever: "Tales of a Pale and Mysterious Moon After the Rain." I love how evocative that is. Another Japanese title I really adore is "The Sailor Who fell From Grace WIth the Sea." I've only read the novel by Yukio Mishima; I have not seen the movie with — egads! — Kris Kristofferson. Has anyone seen it? I am also very intrigued by the title of this new Brad Pitt movie "The Assassination of Jesse James by the Coward Robert Ford." Are any film titles especially meaningful or poetic to you?

9 comments:

driftwood said...

I’ve not thought about film titles in such a way, but it might be interesting to try.

One thing I have noticed is when movies are made from books, the title of the movie is often shorter and less evocative. I suppose that is because the marketing people insist, but it also often parallels abridging the book to film length and losing depth in the process.

kc said...

There is also the unforgettably poetic "Dude, Where's My Car?"

kc said...

(DW, can you send me the recipe for your mom's lemon pie? Maybe you could check your e-mail while you're at it!)

Erin said...

I was also drawn to that new Jesse James title. It has a good rhythm to it.

How about "To Wong Foo, Thanks For Everything! Julie Newmar"?

Others that I like:

- "Who the Fuck is Jackson Pollock?"
- "Eternal Sunshine of the Spotless Mind"
- "The Three Burials of Melquiades Estrada"

kc said...

Ooh, those are all good, Erin.

(That really was the perfect title for that Jackson Pollock movie. It encapsulated SO MUCH about the film and the art world besides just her initial response to being told she likely had a Pollock masterpiece.)

kc said...

And if she ever sells that painting for $50 million or whatever she thinks is an acceptable price, there can be a sequel called "I Fucking Told You So."

Ben said...

Isn't it actually called Who the #$&% Is Jackson Pollock?

kc said...

On IMDB, it's http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0487092/

Erin said...

"I Fucking Told You So." I love it. I really hope that happens.