Wednesday, April 15, 2009

Bertolucci Again

The “Conformist”, is, as I remembered, brilliant. I’m no farther along on deciding if “The Dreamers” is a very good movie that goes off the rails or is a mediocre movie that plays above its skill level. I might revisit the question in light of this post from Filmbrain about a movie Bertolucci made in ’68, “Partner”, coving the same events.

http://www.filmbrain.com/filmbrain/2009/04/2-or-3-things-bertolucci-knows-about-godard.html

Filmbrain includes a clip from the film that is certainly outstanding, but also shows more than a little of what is weird about Bertolucci.

2 comments:

kc said...

I don't understand what happened in the clip. What's the context?

driftwood said...

I’ve not seen the rest of the movie, but what I’ve been reading all talks about how deeply Godard influenced it. I think one of the things he is taking from Godard is the use of episodic and digressive elements. So, for instance, Godard’s “Pierrot le Fou” is kind of a criminals-on-the-run road movie except the plot is not very important because it seems to be created on the fly by the characters in voiceover. Instead we get a cocktail party done in Bunuel’s surrealistic style, three dance numbers, and an impromptu recreation of the Vietnam war for the entertainment of some American military men.

So I’m not sure just how much context that scene even has. But the movie overall is based on Dostoevsky’s “The Double” which is a doppelganger story about a man going mad. So the man in the clip is a theater professor who is being destroyed by an evil double who may or may not be the result of a psychotic break. That’s all I know.