Thursday, January 18, 2007

The Missing War?

Who has read McMurty’s book? Does Duane go off to fight in the Korean War? I was wondering if that scene was added since the timeframe of the movie seems to be a bit off. I wouldn’t have thought that TV would have taken that big a hit on movies by 1952. In particular, would a small poor town have so many sets that people had quit going to their local movie house?

Also, the adults of the town seem to have always been there. But if this is 1951, then many of the men, and some of the women, would have been away during WWII which ended just six years earlier. I didn’t catch a single reference to the War which strikes me as odd for the time. The movie seems like it really ought to have been five or six years later. Then Duane could have gone off in the Army, but not to war.

1 comment:

kc said...

Good point. I read the book, but it was a long time ago, after I first saw the movie. I remember being impressed at how true to the spirit of the book the film was (in a "Prime of Miss Jean Brodie" way).

I'm no history expert, but I thought there was a general sense in the 1950s of quickly leaving WWII behind. Men were back and getting on with their civilian lives and the new prosperity, which wasn't in evidence in that tiny Texas town.

Would Sam have been too old? He mentions his dead son (a war casualty?). Sam seems like maybe he's in his 50s, and Lois and Ruth and the rest must be pushing 40.