Monday, February 12, 2007

Theme/mythical


Another possible theme to the disappearances on Hanging Rock is the mythical aspect. Miranda's disappearance reminded me of Persephone being kidnapped by Hades, for one thing. But there are several clues that have more of a romantic or mythical aspect. The girls are young virgins, dressed in white. They engage in different ritualized behaviors -- the cheer to St. Valentine (all of the schoolgirls holding the statue in that breakfast scene disappear), a repeat vow before Miranda cuts through the heart-shaped cake, the shedding of clothing the farther they go from civilization. And the pan pipe music gives the scenes at Hanging Rock a mythical quality as well, like they were roaming an ancient and remote world.

6 comments:

Ben said...

I think the pan flute was a very odd choice. The pan flute is an ancient instrument that arose independently in Greece, China, and the Americas. The only continents where the pan flute was not known to the indigenous populations were Africa and Australia. My guess is that the filmmakers wanted to give a connection to Greek mythology, not Australian -- the school is quite classical English, and there are no Aboriginies in the film.

Ben said...

Do you think St. Valentine is connected with the mystery? I don't know much Catholic history, but I just looked up St. Valentine, and he was a 3rd-century martyr.

cl said...

Ben, I hoped you could be our music expert on this. What did you think of the use of the Emperor Concerto? I love that piece.

Were those Aboriginies that helped with the initial police hunt? I thought perhaps they were.

Erin said...

The guy who looked like he was dressed as a pirate?

The ancient mythology connection is apt, I think. There was also the comparison of Miranda and "The Birth of Venus."

kc said...

I think the only way this movie holds water (as it's done) is as myth. It's an airy wonderland of pre-Raphaelite nymphs where everyone is always swooning and such. These girls work only as types. there's no characterization, no individuality.

I almost burst out laughing when Mademoiselle said, while practically masturbating, that Miranda reminded her of a Botticelli angel. Granted, this was in 1975, before saying someone looked like a Botticelli, had become banal.

Ben said...

Sorry to disappoint those of you who think I know something about music, but I wouldn't know the Emperor Concerto if it jumped up and bit me on the ass. I think I have it on a CD somewhere (maybe with Van Cliburn?), but I never listen to it.