Friday, June 22, 2007

More Van Sant


What other Gus Van Sant movies have you seen, and how do you think they compare with "Idaho"?

(I've seen Drugstore Cowboy, Even Cowgirls Get The Blues, To Die For, Good Will Hunting, Psycho, Elephant. My favorite of these is "Drugstore Cowboy" with the fantastic Matt Dillon and William S. Burroughs. I also really liked "To Die For" with Matt Dillon and Nicole Kidman — and River's brother, Joaquin Phoenix. These films were far more mainstream, at least in presentation, than "Idaho," but still offbeat and dark and humorous and sad.)

5 comments:

Erin said...

I've only seen "Good Will Hunting," and it's, uh, hard to compare.

kc said...

Did you like it?

I don't remember all that much about it, just the barest outline.

He has another movie with Matt Damon called "Gerry" that I'd like to see. Here's the imdb description: A friendship between two twenty-something men is tested to its very limits when they go on a hike in a desert and forget to bring any water or food with them.

Ben said...

I saw "Good Will Hunting" when it was in theaters, and I loved it. I don't know whether I would like it as much if I saw it today.

I don't think I've seen any of the others.

Erin said...

I did like it, but I was still in high school when I saw it, so who knows. Thinking back, a lot of it seems very cheesy. Maybe I'll watch it again sometime. I do remember that I enjoyed all the Boston accents.

Ben said...

I used to be obsessed with dialect accents (I still am, to some degree), and that aspect of the movie really intrigued me.