Wednesday, June 06, 2007

Take a look

(from Kim)

What was your reaction to Fin's climbing on the bar and shouting "Take a look"? I had the sense that the hurt feelings from earlier that day and the copious alcohol played the major role in the outburst, but also the hurt feelings from a lifetime. And the scene, I thought, was well done (the camera work — the crowd, the dizzying feeling); it gave a good sense of how all these factors were roiling together to produce an emotional tornado. And it was a situation where he wasn't overtly under attack, where the "provocation" didn't necessarily merit the response; but one more subtle, where he could "feel" all these sidelong glances and whispers, some real, some imagined, not just from the bar that night, but from everywhere his whole life, and he was so desperate for it to STOP.

What did you think?

3 comments:

Ben said...

I think the alcohol was the biggest factor -- he was so quiet and reserved with strangers and he hated to bring any attention to himself. That being said, the anger and frustration were that of his life as a dwarf. And I think the pain earlier in the day was a factor mostly just because it caused him to drink that much.

Erin said...

I've been in situations before where I felt like people were watching me and whispering and making judgments. It was probably mostly my imagination, but the feeling was hard to shake. I can only imagine a lifetime of that feeling and how it would make me want to get away from people -- or possibly scream at them.

Ben said...

I have something similar -- I have a certain paranoia that makes me think people care a lot what I look like and how I talk and act. I often think people are talking or at least thinking about me.

Perhaps it’s more egotism than paranoia.