Tuesday, December 18, 2007

Mad in the 70s

For several years now I’ve been intending to watch some of John Cassavetes films. But somehow I’ve never gotten around to doing so. Cassavetes might not have produced movies popular with the movie going public, but from what I’ve been reading, he seems to have had a lasting impact on people who make movies and people who write about them.

For our next club film, we can watch “A Woman under the Influence” from 1974. It promises to be an intense movie.

Since we are coming to the end of the year, shall we start discussion of this one on January 1st?

8 comments:

Ben said...

Ooh, Peter Falk! Love that guy.

We should start on December 31, you know, to keep the Monday thing going.

I hope you don't mind if I put a picture on this post.

driftwood said...

No, that’s fine. My internet connection kept freezing up, so I was going to put up a photo later.

cl said...

Doubt I'll check in until Jan. 1 or 2. Looking forward to it!

Erin said...

Hey folks, it looks like this isn't available on Netflix.

Ben said...

I wonder why it isn't. It was released on DVD in 1998.

Ah, after looking at Amazon, I think I get it -- the DVD is no longer being made, and it's a little rare (people are selling it for a bit of a premium).

driftwood said...

Oh, they have it at my local store so I didn’t even think about double checking Netflix. So I’ll put up a different pick over the weekend unless everyone thinks they can get it locally somehow.

cl said...

I checked, and our library has it. It's checked out until the 27th. I'll try to get my hands on it, and we can float it throughout the group.

driftwood said...

Sounds good.