Tuesday, January 01, 2008

Under the Influence of Cassavetes

Did everybody get a chance to see the film? I watched it on a Criterion disk, but looking at Criterion’s site, I see that they only have released a box set of Cassavetes and not his individual movies. That might be why Netflix didn’t have it. If all of you didn’t see it, we can move on to a different movie.

This can be a first reactions thread. I have been reading about Cassavetes for years in the writings of serious film bluffs and the occasional academic. In such circles he is highly regarded and oft mentioned. But as we found with Netflix, his movies are not much in circulation as general audiences don’t seem interested in watching them. Based on the single one I just saw, I think I have an explanation for that. I found “A Woman Under the Influence” to be an excellent film and I have a high appreciation for it, but I didn’t enjoy watching it. Most movies that I consider excellent I’d be happy to watch over and over even if they are difficult. “Woman” was just too draining though. I plan on watching other Cassavetes work, but it will be a while before I come back to this one.

5 comments:

cl said...

DW, it either was renewed at the library or checked in/out on Dec. 31. I'll look at Liberty next for a copy; I was just hoping to find something to pass along to Newton. I have read a lot about Cassavetes' films, though ("Husbands and Wives" was one I've meant to see), and I'll still try to see this one.

Ben said...

I don't think there's any way for us to get it other than from cl. None of the libraries around here have it.

driftwood said...

Well, shall we move on to our next film and come back and talk about this one later after Cl can pass around the disk?

kc said...

Yeah, why don't you pick another movie, DW, and we'll see and discuss this one as it becomes available.

driftwood said...

OK